Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thanks TSCC!

The moment of truth! Our arrival at the Dixie Classic Fair Grounds in Winston Salem, NC opened a new door into our EV world. Today would be the first ever autocross event that the EV would participate in. On top of that, Mike and I have never pushed the car to its limits or driven in an autocross event ourselves.
Thanks to the Triad Sports Car Club, Mike and I were allowed free admission in today’s race. Excited as we were we knew that we had to buckle down and concentrate on today’s event. After completing registration, taking a walk around the course, and unloading the car, Mike and I gave the EV a brisk search. Nothing was going to stop us from driving, especially not some small detail that we had previously missed.
A few brief showers passed overhead, but as the day progressed the track dried out and gave way to a great day of racing. Since we were placed in our own class (FSAE class), my only competition was Michael. He was the first to take the EV for a spin and did a great job maneuvering around the track. The mustang really looked smooth and natural at what we were putting it through. After Mike’s run I took position behind the wheel. I pushed the car just a little bit harder than Mike did and it held up nicely. Our times decreased after every run and gave us a boost of confidence for the next run. Overall, I had the best time of the day in our class, yet Mike was only about a second behind me. Our standings were not extravagant, but we did not place last overall. I am proud of the way Mike and myself handled the EV today. We were extremely ecstatic to push the mustang to its limits around the course. This event allowed us to get some behind the wheel time before the final event in Raleigh. Not only did the car perform well, but attention was out the roof. Since the event we have received many e-mails congratulating us and giving us tips.

No comments: