Monday, April 20, 2009

Modification of the gauge cluster...

Since a lot of the gauges and lights are not needed in the gauge cluster for the operation of the EV, I took the liberty to disassemble the whole component and make modifications. I stared by removing the face shield so that I could take off the useless gauge hands. As I started to remove the hands I noticed that the whole electronic component itself could be removed. This allowed me to lighten up the gauge cluster. After taking out the unneeded pieces, I proceeded in painting over the unneeded lights and gauge faces to clean up the look of the gauge cluster. After the paint was dry, I reassembled the cluster and placed it in a safe area until it is to be installed.
This is the cluster before modification.
After removing the face shield.
Each part of the gauge cluster had its own section that could be disassembled. Here in this pic I removed the gas gauge and battery voltage gauge.
Here I removed the oil pressure and water temperature gauge.
The mid section was the most complicated to remove, but after carefully removing a few screws I gently popped it out of place.
Here are the remaining pieces.
After I painted over the gauge faces and useless warning lights.
Mike helping me to re-assemble the gauge cluster.
Clean and simple.
Placing the cover back on.
Finished.
A new car deserves its true mileage.
always in the red... thanks to a little super glue.
Surprisingly enough, this is what a gauge looks like on the inside.
Now it's ready for install.

No comments: